Thursday, September 30, 2010

THE GREEN MILE FROM BOTH SIDES


June 5, 2009 was a dark, heartbreaking day in the Asbell house. We had to take our beloved Labrador, Hannah, to the veterinarian to be put to sleep.  The reality of the situation was that the sweet dog who picked out my husband (here forth known as Moose) before I knew I even wanted to date him long-term, had reached the end of her road. In our minds we battled the Quality of Life versus How Much We Did Not Want to Let Her Go. Either way was going to hurt someone. We managed to survive the day, thanks to our dear friend Melissa and having the time to quietly hold and love on Hannah before she went to the Diamond Castle (what the diva describes Heaven to be).  I confessed to Melissa (who happens to be a minister) that it would have been easier to put down the Moose (insert lightning strike) and somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that was not a nice thing to say.  In the past few months we’d gotten numerous requests from the diva to get another dog. Late August and early September I did some “pre-shopping” at the local animal shelter and about 2 weekends later, I knew we found our next dog. Initially he went against all I anticipated us wanting. A.) He was a boy, B.) He was NOT a Retriever, C.) Did I mention we didn’t think we’d want a boy? Well, insert an approximately 6 month old MALE, German Shepherd/Heinz 57 dog and you have Scooby, the dog formerly known as Malcolm. To know that we’ve saved a dog from The Green Mile makes it all the more special. To see the look on Scooby’s face when we brought him home and showed him the big fenced-in backyard was priceless. I have never seen a dog’s jaw drop (except in a cartoon or 8). He has already cemented his place in our family and hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment