Wednesday, October 13, 2010

ATTENTION PLEASE! We HAVE a hobby! Woot!

Praise God and pass the bread, we have found an extracurricular activity that doesn't involve competition and the diva's progress will be strictly at her own will and determination. Taekwondo!!! I had no idea it was all one word until we walked into the studio. Seriously. I was making it all Hooked On Phonics/3 wordy. Surprise! It's one word. So I learned something new today.

We literally stumbled upon this idea. The diva has wanted to do some form of martial arts ever since she saw a Scooby Doo Samarai movie a year ago and we've waited until we felt she'd get the most out of the experience. The diva and I went to our local county fair last week and went to various booths. We tripped over some debris on the ground and looked up. There was the ATA booth. The diva realized what the ATA was before I did. I signed up for a free class for the diva and we scheduled exactly when we'd go. It was this evening.

First impression-wow-this place is clean and looks "important." I don't know how to explain that part but it just did. It was organized. For some reason I expected either Hitler to meet us at the door and make us all cry or complete chaos. It was a great feel. Kids were being kids but as soon as they bowed to the mats and stepped in for class, it was ON! I was glad that the diva was positioned within the class to where she could see a very impressive young boy, perhaps a few years older than her. She followed a lot of his lead. Even as an adult, I did not feel worthy to spy on the class. There was plenty of interaction between their instructor and the kids. They know their kids. They command respect and they earn it. The diva was fully immersed in the instruction and the Moose and I were so excited to see her focus.

I'm excited to see what the next 6 months (and beyond) bring to all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment